The 2015 Legislative Session in the Rear-View Mirror
With the adjournment of Montana’s 64th Legislature MREA is now preparing for a full review of the legislation that was passed and the impact that various bills will have on our member schools across our state this summer.
Here’s a quick list of just a few of the objectives that were addressed during the session and which we will be providing detailed information to our members on during our upcoming Summer Conference and Annual Meetings taking place in Billings on June 22nd and 23rd:
- Performance Audit of OPI (SJ10) – Data Collection and Reporting
- Inflationary Increases (HB 27) - Over $40 million
- School Safety Funding (SB 213) Extended with Increased Flexibility for Schools
- School Bonding Limits (HB 373) increased
- Privatization - Numerous bills killed
- 19 Year Old Funding (SB 12) - Big School Funding Bill Killed
- Digital Academy (HB 162) - Placed on solid footing
- Oil and Gas Impacts - Numerous bills passed to address these impacts
- 10-Year Study of K-12 Education (SB 128)
MT-PEC Releases 2015 Legislative Voting Record
The Montana Public Education Center comprised of the major state K-12 Education Associations, including MREA, has released it's 2015 Legislative Session Voting Record. The goal of the record is to provide insight to K-12 education advocates across the state on how elected representatives and senators have voted on issues affecting community ownership and success of our public schools.
MREA and MSU Announce New Rural Leadership Cohort!
MREA and MSU’s Department of Education are excited to announce that we have teamed up once again to offer a Graduate-Level Leadership Cohort Program designed specifically around the needs of Montana’s rural and smaller schools and the educators serving them.
MREA and MSU will be celebrating the return of this very successful program with a “kick-off” celebration to be held in Bozeman on July 1st. Trustees, administrators and interested educators from across Montana are invited to join us at 6:00 p.m. on the patio of the Bozeman Holiday Inn Express for a casual and fun evening as we celebrate the return of this joint program.