MREA Identifies Priorities for the 2015 Session
During the past year MREA has conducted a variety of Board meetings and membership meetings along with polls and surveys of schools and education advocates across the state. As a result of this process we have identified the following priorities for the 2015 legislative Session:
- Support for the remaining funding elements that were included in SB 175 from the 2013 Legislative Session
- Support for inflationary increases included within the state funding formula
- Addressing the concern of our members over the dramatic increase in Federal and State Reporting and Paperwork and the negative impact this is having on schools across our state
- Addressing the manner in which the Office of Public Instruction (OPI) administers Federal and State reporting requirements which contributes to the negative impact on schools
- Plans for active participation in the upcoming 10 Year Study of K-12 Education here in Montana
- Support for legislation giving independent elementary districts the local control and ability to decide K-12 expansion issues at the local level with their voters and educational community
Jim Smith to Help Represent MREA Schools!
MREA is excited to report that Jim Smith has graciously agreed to once again help our organization in representing our members during the upcoming 2015 Legislative Session! Jim has spent a lifetime as a Montana teacher, coach, High School Principal, Athletic Director and District Superintendent. Then after retiring from Montana Jim dedicated an additional twelve years to the children and schools in Alaska.
During the session Jim can be reached via email at: email@example.com or via cell phone/text at (406) 564-0447.
MREA is indeed fortunate and thankful to have Jim serving on our legislative team during these upcoming months!
MREA’s Legislative Briefings for Members
During the upcoming session MREA will once again be providing our members with detailed “Online Legislative Briefings” as things develop here in Helena with a specific focus on issues having a direct impact on Montana’s small, rural and independent elementary schools.
MREA will also be providing our members with a comprehensive and interactive list of bills allowing our members to track developments in “real time” as they happen here at the Capitol.
Please click on the “Update Your District’s Contact Information” arrow above to make certain your school is included in these services.